Sunday, April 26, 2009

Ampong: Week #1 at Manila Times

A. List down all the tasks that you performed during this period. Describe each in detail.

1. Saturday, April 4, 2009. My first day in work was a blast. One, my photojournalism boss told me the night before that we will meet at seven o’clock in the morning at PHILCOA, Quezon City which is quite far from where I stay and a place I have never been too. I felt very anxious by that fact, one, I don’t know where and what to ride for me to get there. My boss who kind enough to direct me, gave me instructions on how to get there. I was nervous the whole time I was on the bus going to QC, I always the bus conductor to drop me off at PHILCOA to which he would always say, “Yes miss, I’ll tell you when we’re already there.” in Tagalog. I finally arrived at PHICOA after a 35-45 minute bus ride from Pasay to QC. When I got to Jollibee Philcoa, ( I could not find my boss, I’ve waited for more or less 15 to 20 minutes for him to arrive.) Branded as always the late comer, I felt kind of proud of myself.hehe When my boss and Ms. Marlene ( a PR personnel from the COALITION, NGO) arrived, we had breakfast and then went to San Fernando, Rizal where we covered the allegedly soon to be dumpsite of Metro Manila. I was tasked to take a few photos of the site. I also interviewed the head of COALITION San Fernando, Rizal. What was alarming in the situation is that, residents along the area do not know that it is a garbage dumpsite that is built 5-15 meters away from their houses. When we got to the office, I wrote the captions of the photos that were taken from the dump site.

2. Monday, April 6, 2009. My second day of work was oh well, tiring and interesting. We went to Cutud, Pampanga where the “Sinakulo” takes place. It was very hot. The transportation service’s air conditioner was not used. We met the man who has himself crucified every Holy Week. He showed us the crosses that they used and the nails that he uses every year. Mang Rene, has himself crucified for 24 years now. I do not know how to feel that time, I sensed that they were only doing it just because it has become a tradition, in Cutud, it has become a tourist spot during the Holy Week. I was tasked to take photos to which I also wrote captions for of the women and children doing the “Pasyon”, where they sing the way of the cross. What was kind of confusing about it was the text is in Filipino yet I could not understand a word they sing. Anyway, I’ve learned that there are really things in this world that even if us mankind do not have concrete things to back it up would continue to be cherished simply because we believe it is something that will reward us in the future or cover up the not-so-good things we did in the past.

3. Tuesday, April 7, 2009. My third and final work day of the week. I had quite a tour along Makati, Pasay and then Manila cities that day. My boss, told us that we should go directly to Manila Police District- West along U.N. Avenue. To kick start our day we went to Makati City around 9 am in the morning to cover the rally of militant groups in front of the Dutch Embassy. It was enlightening to witness and record the event especially that their call is very specific; they want the Dutch Embassy to remove Jose Ma. Sison, a Filipino Communist Leader from the list of the world’s terrorists because of the repercussions or consequences that may arise from the said action.

After that, we went to Allegro Center in Makati for a press conference called by the Makati Jeepney Operators and Driver’s Association. It was very interesting and quite over the board that the MJODA Chairman will torch his jeepney which accordingly is from his Grandfather if Pres. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo would not grant their loan request to fund the drivers, purchase of LPG-powered public utility jeepneys, which is said to be less environmentally harmful than gasoline.

After lunch at the MJODA presscon we went to Makati City Jail to hopefully cover a Holy Week event there but there was none. And also in Manila City Jail located at Tondo, but there was none.

Off we went Lawton, Manila fronting the Main Post Office Building to cover the rally of militant groups and people from the Southern Tagalog who condemned Pres. Arroyo stating in the banners and streamers, “Imperyalismong US at Gloria kalbaryo ng mamamayan”. The group supposedly go to the US embassy yet they didn’t reach thaf because the Police officers headed by Col. Rosales barred the group to proceed. they only reached the National Library area, and that was where they had their program explaining why they believe that any agreement between U.S. and the Philippines is never meant to be of help to the people rather these agreements have turned to be detrimental to the Filipinos.

We followed the same rally up to Morayta only there were already a good number of 300-400 militants there.



B. Describe new skills you learned, or skills you improved upon as a result of these tasks. Be specific.

1. I learned what and how to write photo captions, I learned that in order for me to do so correctly, I should be very involved in gathering the right pieces of information.

2. I learned that it is important to set aside any mood of being shy or fear of rejection, not only that it will impede me in getting what I want when I need it, it will also hinder my chances of meeting new people which is one of my primordial goals in this internship.

3. I learned to talk lightly to people; I am not really close to. This pertains to my co-interns who are very nice to which I usually am off because I don’t get along with people I have not really known for months. I’ve learned to clear that wall because I need to. Like they say, a fun experience is meaningless without a comrade.

4. I learned that in taking photos, I should be fast. Like during a rally, I cannot and should not join the militants because if I do, I can not take good photos. I should always be ahead of them. I practiced my running skills whether in slip-ons or rubber shoes.


C. Other thoughts regarding the OJT experience.

I figured that I still have not published one article or photo for my first week, that is why I am a bit apprehensive about it. I have been to places that I only here from TV and witnessed events that I only see in TV too like real rallies, we don’t have in Zamboanga. I have met a few people from different media outfits and publications, and so far they are real nice. And for all these, I am very grateful to this opportunity.


No comments:

Post a Comment