Sunday, April 26, 2009

Querubin: Week #1 at Peace Works

April 14, 2009
We have been called to the office at ten in the morning for an orientation regarding peace journalism and what Peace Works is all about. We were given tips on how to write as peace journalists and how to look for angles to ponder on when covering events.

We were also given the topics to cover that are to be submitted Thursday afternoon for editing. I am tasked to write about the Gawad Kalinga Bayani Challenge 2009 that matched my being a volunteer for the event. This engaged greater pressure on me although I am grateful that I can still continue my volunteer services while complying with the demands of the OJT.

The meeting ended just in time for the school bus ride bound to Tulungatung, the settlement area for the GK. Volunteers from Ateneo de Zamboanga University (ADZU) will be conducting the second day of volunteer work for Paraisong Pambata. As we arrived at the site, heavy rain poured and prevented the children to maximize the space because of limited covered tents.

In the mean time, I asked Youth for Christ volunteers that immersed in the area as to whom I can interview for the article and was later referred to Kuya Fredney Gales, GK Child and Youth Development Operations Head. Fortunately he heeded my need and answered every question with clarity. I was also referred to Kuya Ken Reston for the details of the whole gathering. In his absence, I was sent to meet Ate Mika Hippol that could have provided the needed information but only at a time later then our scheduled stay in the area. It was then agreed that she provide the documents the next day.

After the interview, my fellow student volunteers and I found that the activity for the kids are handled well by the grade school teachers from ADZU and so we went to the actual building site and extended our help to the build team of ADZU under heavy rain, muddy paths and slippery steps.
The rain stopped in time for the group to go back to town and for me to transcribe the recorded interview at home.

As the day ended I enhanced my skill on dealing with people more specifically on making use of “contacts” in order to get the job done. I used to be the type of person who knows a lot of people but never see them as prospect sources of information. But today, as I was striving to look for interviewees for the article, the presence of friends from other schools has helped me get the interview with ease.

My first day as an intern was good. I felt that I have accomplished something and I am looking forward to more interviews.



April 15
On the second day of interviews I arrived at the site at about 4 in the afternoon via school bus that brought the performers for Ateneo Night in Tulungatung.

Right after stepping down the vehicle, I went to the main stage and looked for Ate Mikka for the information I was not able to obtain the day before. She was then anxious to see me that gave the impression she did not print the papers I requested and turned out, she really did not bring the papers I need. And so she asked for my email address and told me that she will just mail me the document when she goes home.

I thanked her and went off to start the interviews with various volunteers and beneficiaries. Ate Joy Adduru, GK1MB Coordinator was my first interviewee for the afternoon that clarified the terms on the LGU’s support and volunteer teams present. Next interviewee was Arthur Molina from Team Basilan emphasizing on his reasons for attending the event. Kenneth Vincent P. Beldua from Team Beng Climaco followed. He gave his sentiments about the GK Challenge.

After the three interviews, I looked for beneficiaries in the area. I went to a group of ladies and all were hesitant to take the interview. A number of them declined while others walked away in sight of me. Finally getting grasp of one who did not ran away, Ate Alma Cabasag invited me in her home and there we had the interview. After thanking her, I went on with my search for other volunteers.

I talked to Christian Columbres, YFC Regional Head for North Eastern Mindanao and then interviewed Rodrigo S. Pagotaisidro, Head of the Housing and Land Management Division of the city.

In search of other beneficiaries, two kids Daisy Rose Cenasio, 10, and Shelviza Marie Patangan, 7, participants of Paraisong Pambata captured my attention as they were playing along the corners of the main stage. I asked them what they think of the event and they answered me shyly. I saw ate Mikka and reminded her of the document and she went on her way.

Just before the performance night program I was able to conduct one more interview with Arman Nuñez of Team Vinta Majulah, SFC Singapore. He then clarified the common fears of volunteers not from Zamboanga with regards to the peace and order situation in the city.

Afterwards, I tended to the needs of the program as stage manager. I arrived home at about 11:30 in the evening, checked my mail and still no sign of Ate Mikka’s documents. I then, spent the next four hours transcribing all the interviews of the day.

This day was a blast. I was caught between being an intern and a volunteer for GK but amidst all the trouble and pressure I think I have accomplished my task for the day. I have sufficient interviews and did all tasks assigned to me for the night’s program.

On this day, I have learned to give greater importance to maximizing the time. I am not really a big fan of time management but the pressure of meeting the deadline has boosted that time-conscious self in me. I did not expect I can conduct that number of interviews in just one afternoon but the pressure in writing a presentable and on-time article does wonders.



April 16
The school bus I was in arrived at Tulungatung almost mid afternoon. I went to look for additional stories from beneficiaries and volunteers and was able to interview Kuya Tinzar Titing, GK beneficiary and Ate Violet Lucasi, ADMU volunteer. Both of them were very open in sharing their stories and I did not have a difficult time asking questions.

After the interviews, I looked for Ate Mikka and asked for the papers through USB and was finally able to get the details I needed. I also took more pictures of the construction work in the area.
After achieving all needed information I waited for the school bus that apparently could not accommodate more passengers and so I hitched a ride with the Brent team that took a while to leave.
I arrived in town at sunset, took a ride home and finished my article.

Today, I practiced the idea “always get more information than you need”. I had extra interviews to choose from for the article and so this gave me more freedom to shape the story.

Be prepared and expect for the worst. I learned this today because of Ate Mikka. I asked for information on a Tuesday and took hold of it on a Thursday. In addition to the delay is the quite incomplete and inaccurate information being given. I should have just thought of presenting her my USB the first time I asked her for the documents. When I opened the file, the information present where all those that I already gathered from other sources and what I really needed from her was not indicated.


April 17
I went to the site at about 1:30 in the afternoon to take pictures of the last day of the activity of GK1MB Challenge 2009.

The culminating program started at about 6:30 in the evening with songs from the GK1MB Band led by Kuya Fredney Gales followed by testimonials from Full time GK workers and volunteers and representatives of GK Challenge Sulu.

Video presentations of both GK Zamboanga and Sulu were shown in the big screen with additional testimonials from Muslim brothers and sisters that became full time GK volunteers.

The highlight of the event was the presence of Rimermaya that played their all-time favorite hits.

I already passed my article and going to the site was more of playing my volunteer role but while I was there, I did not miss the chance of taking more photos of the event. This decision served me right because some of the photos I took this day were chosen for posting.

My first week as an intern in Peace Works helped me grow more as a socially concerned citizen. Hearing the heart-warming stories of my interviewees shed a brighter light upon my idea of heroism and helping those in need.

I finally grasped the idea that everyone has a story to tell and am happy to be a medium for these people’s stories to be heard. I feel honored to be part of this great cause.

I am loving Mass Communication more and more.



No comments:

Post a Comment