Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Madrigalejo: Week #1 at Manila Times

A. List down all the tasks that you performed during this period. Describe each in detail.

1.) I monitored news from the wire agencies, AFP and Xinhua. There was no other person in the office yet because I came in very early. I didn’t want to waste any time so I just watched the news on TV and waited for updates. After about an hour or so, Sir Klink came in and asked me to monitor the wires as well, so I did. He logged me in to the AFP and Xinhua sites and I started surfing. He instructed me to look for any breaking news, something that we could include in the paper. It was a little confusing because the news came in very quickly and I have to read the full report of every “relevant” story that I see before I copy-paste it. That was about everything that I did for that day before he gave me an assignment.

2.) My first assignment, my first taste of the real thing. That night, Sir Klink read the news about Ding Tanjuatco’s death in the Inquirer. He wanted me do an article, telling people of how Ding was as a public servant. He specified that I must interview at least two prominent individuals for quotations. Next thing I knew, I was accepting the project without asking for the full details. When I arrived home, I was very excited for tomorrow’s coverage until I remembered one thing—I didn’t know where the wake was. I felt my world slowly crushing down with this big lapse in my logic. I texted my friends who were reporters as well, and asked if they knew where the wake was and they had no idea.

As late as 11 pm, I went out and surfed the net to look for any news regarding Tanjuatco’s death but there was none. I was then beginning the heavy weight on my shoulders. I even thought of texting our editor to tell him that I could not do it, but good thing I did I chose not to; because one, I accepted the assignment, gave him my word, and that was as good as saying that I will do it no matter what. And two, texting is the lowest form of communication possible for such a probable-image-and-respect-breaking move.

I never gave up though. The next morning, I went to the shop again to check out if there is already something about the wake, unfortunately, there is still none. Nevertheless, I tried calling some of the numbers I saw. First, I called KAMPI, with which Mr. Tanjuatco was affiliated. No one was answering the phone. Then I tried calling the phone number indicated in a resume I found in the net, I was a little doubtful about this because it had none of the characteristics of a good website that we used to discuss in class. But in times of need, just like this, I felt that I had to try everything. I called the numbers indicated there and gladly, someone answered and told me that the wake was at Sanctuario de San Antonio in Forbes Park, Makati. I knew I was a little late because it was already 12 noon, but I went there immediately so I could meet up with my 5pm deadline. I don’t really know the place so I had to ask for directions from another friend who has been there. After about an hour, I reached the location and there I began my coverage.

After greeting the people in charge there and introducing myself, I looked for prominent people whom I can interview. The right-hand man of Mr. Tanjuatco, Kuya Jessie as he wants me to call him, regrets and told me that former President Cory Aquino was there last night and POC President Jose Cojuangco was there until around 12 noon that same day. I needed a story so I interviewed people who could still be prominent in a way and still deeply connected with Ding. First, I talked to Lawyer Hjalmar Quintana of the Department of Justice. He was with Ding during the People Power Revolution and they were both on the opposition side supporting Cory. Next, I talked to Ding’s eldest son, Dax Tanjuatco. After waiting for more prominent people to come and none still came, I bade goodbye to the people there and extended my condolences. Afterwards, I hurriedly looked for a computer shop (Netopia was the nearest, at P57.00 per hour, I had no choice), typed my article, and sent it to the editor.

3. ) I attended a news writing seminar organized by the office for the interns. We were about 25, but only around 12- 15 came. In the seminar, Sir Klink gave a recap of what journalism and news are. Surprisingly, some of the interns there couldn’t define news and journalism. Rianne and I (since Kamille was not present during that time) were answering and I “think” (personally) we fared pretty well in raising the banner of our school.

I learned that different agencies have different ways of doing the news. I thought that newspaper had straight news, but the examples shown by Sir Klink had very wordy leads and very adjective-full paragraphs. As an example, he used my article for Ding Tanjuatco’s death. He said it was not wrong but I could have done it better if I gave a little emotional story about him. I did the article in the straight news format, and I think Sir Klink likes it featurized a little bit.

He taught us new lead types and some writing styles. The one that I really like, and will probably use in my next article, is the Wall Street Journal type. In there, you first take it from the perspective of one person then you suddenly connect it with the big issue. Discuss the big issue and then go back to the person with whom you started the entire story. Sir Klink was a very articulate and funny lecturer. I enjoyed and learned much from this lecture.

4. ) I went to Cavite with Kamille. We are working in as story assignment given to me by Sir Klink. He was assigning feature stories to the other interns, and when it was my turn, he asked me if there was any particular story that I would want to pursue. I told him that I have seen this group, the Dynamic Teen Company, on TV just that morning. I told him that DTC is a group of teenagers who use wooden pushcarts with books, blackboards, and other learning material. The group goes to public markets, dumpsites, and cemeteries to educate the young children there who do not go to school. I found their advocacy truly inspiring so I suggested to cover their story. Gladly, Sir Klink found it interesting and inspiring as well.

After the assignment was given, I immediately looked for their website. I left a message there and told them who I was and what I had to do. They replied to my mail the next day and gave me the contact number of the founder, Kuya Ef. I texted Kuya Ef to set an appointment, he replied and told me to come there on April 13 (today). He sent me the complete address so I went there with Kamille and we looked for their office. We will go back there on Saturday for the photos of their actual teaching sessions. I think I could talk more about this on my next report form.


B. Describe new skills you learned, or skills you improved upon as a result of these tasks. Be specific.

1. ) I learned more about news judgment. During the time that I was monitoring the AFP and Xinhua, I knew that what may be news to other people of the world may not be news to the Filipinos. So there, I applied the different news values that I learned in class. I recall, one intern who was working with me was monitoring the wires too. And when Sir Klink asked her if she found any news for the paper, she talked about the quake in Italy. And sir asked if there were Filipinos involved, she said none, so that was not news according to sir.
I was happy because I had the same line of thinking with sir, I was looking for any sign of Filipinos affected by the quake so the story would have more relevance and proximity to the Filipino readers.

2. ) I am not that shy anymore during interviews and I think I have improved my communication skills more. During my interview in Tanjuatco’s wake, prominent people were there and I knew there was no room for errors. I tried to build up my confidence and do my best. I think turned out to be ok because I got good quotes from them. Also, it really pays to listen to the interviewee’s answers, more questions could be derived from there!

3. ) I learned about discipline. I was late when I submitted the article on Ding Tanjuatco, and I know that I not a very good start. I thought I “screwed up” on the assignment. Like what Sir Klink said to all of us, “DEADLINES ARE SACRED”. And probably being the first one to fall short on that, I have really disciplined myself when it comes to my work. Now, I really plan ahead, research well, and schedule my commitments properly (I write them down on a separate notebook and I check them every now and then).

4. ) I learned of the importance of being prepared. Asking questions is not a bad thing, it can actually make the job a whole lot easier. Knowing everything that you need to know about the topic and the interviewees would really help you in asking the right questions.

5. ) I learned more about responsibility. Now, I am not only carrying the name of the school but I am carrying the name of the company as well. When I go out and say that I am from the Manila Times, I feel the pressure to act professionally because there is no way that they will be treating me as a student there.


C. Other thoughts regarding the OJT experience.

On last note, I realized how important being nice and courteous to others people is. Regardless of position, rank in life, age, or gender, I must treat them the way I want to be treated myself. For one, in my first interview, I was so lost. I did not know how to begin and gain confidence. And the ones who helped me out? The drivers, the organizers, and the helpers of the family.

They told me who the members of the family are, and a little background on Sir Ding. Kuya Jessie even gave me a copy of Sir Ding’s resume which was a really big help for me. I was nice to them ever since I stepped my foot there, and they repaid me with their kindness until I left as well. They even gave me brownies and other stuff to eat, they said they knew that I travelled really far just to go there. I was really touched by their gesture, and I thanked them.

It does not hurt to give them a smile, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment