Sunday, April 26, 2009

Lim: Internship Goals

News values, code of ethics, history, basic and advanced journalism, advertising, broadcast performance, feature writing are some of the things I learned within the four semesters of taking BS Mass Communication in Ateneo de Zamboanga University. Indeed I enjoyed every lesson despite the hardship of meeting the deadlines and requirements. Reminiscing those days, I feel the need of experiencing work with other people whom I don’t and I can’t simply treat as classmates or a close friend but as a co-worker in the competent world. I want to get a taste of life outside my comfort zone, the real world, life after graduation. This summer’s on–the-job training (OJT) will then give me such opportunity, hopefully.

In reading various web articles, I remember one article saying in broad terms, the goal of internship experience is to help students strengthen their professional philosophy and understanding of their chosen field. I certainly agree with it for it can only be achieved as one gets a close working relationship with an experienced professional, but more than that, I hope to increase my confidence through experiencing firsthand involvement. As my internship would go, I’d like to apply all my learning, my personal knowledge, my skills and know my strengths and weaknesses. Through the supervisory midterm and summative evaluations geared toward identifying strong areas of skill and expertise as well as those areas that may need to be enhanced or strengthened, I will be able to achieve so. But of course, establishing connections will be part of my goal for it will be very helpful and useful in the future.

Generally, I’d just like to get a preview of life after college to prepare myself and keep me from being culture shocked.

As my first OJT which is print will be in a magazine company, I would like to live by the standard of professional writing, knowing that journalism is a lifestyle. And since my OJT will be in a peace magazine, I would also want to learn how peace journalism really goes; I have been introduced on the basic forms and principles of journalisms and had a glimpse of peace journalism but I haven’t tried doing so. Furthermore, with the present security situation here in Zamboanga, I would like to see and learn how the magazine is still able to view things and inculcate the idea of peace. How and where they get the topics and information.

No comments:

Post a Comment