Sunday, May 24, 2009

Ampong: Week #4 at Manila Times

A. List down all the tasks that you performed during this period. Describe each in detail.

During the last week of my internship, the only issue that was compelling that time was the arrest of Mr. Jun Lozada in the case perjury filed by Mr. Mike Defensor. He was jailed at the Manila Police District West, where my boss’ headquarters is located. So for most of the week, we stayed there waiting for any development in Mr. Lozada’s Case. I took photos of militants outside MPD rallying to free Mr. Lozada.

I also had the chance to cover the rallies in Ayala Avenue Makati City, in the militant’s cause to raise their minimum wages. There were quite a number of rallies during the week approaching Labor Day. I learned to sneak my way into hordes of huge cameras with all its lenses that could size as half of my head. And I must say that I also got or received a number scary looks of photographer’s from other publications and for most of the time I get away with by “sorry po” and a nervous smile all at the same time.

When I completed my number of hours required, I felt that I still have so many things to learn from the field and from the people that I am with. Albeit the fact that Mr. Rene H. Dilan ( Manila Times’ chief photographer), Mr. Greg San Agustin ( the driver), Mr. Bobby Ranoco (from the Reuters) are in different generation or age group, we get along really well. And it seems that everyday is a whole new day of great experiences and lessons learnt.

I also had the chance to cover the drill of Manila Police for the Labor Day at Luneta. I wasn’t as enthusiastic that day though because I had allergic attack and a spitting dysmenorrheal.

The day after Pacquiao and Hatton’s fight, we went to Divisoria to cover a raid by the police on copies of the recently concluded Battle of the East and West fight.

Days after the Pacquiao Hatton fight, Sir KJ, one of Manial Times’ photographer let me go with him in covering Mr. Pacquiao’s arrival in the country. That was the first dawn shoot I had, it was kind of difficult for me because I had to wake up 2 in the morning to get ready by 3. we arrive in NAIA 2 by 5 o’clock. There were members of the Media both from local and international press. While we were waiting, in front of me was an English correspondent, there photographers form Xinghua a wires service based in China, Reuters (Sir Bobby), AP and EPA were some of the international press to cover the said event.

My last weeks were mostly composed of a two consecutive days of coverage at the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine and a coverage on DOH’s Updates on the Influenza A (A1H1) virus. Unlike Senate, I did not find it boring. I even think that there’s more action there. That both agencies are doing their job and at the same time I get to educate myself on what is the real score of the world’s currently dealt with pandemic. Secretary Duque III, is I think ob=ne of the most functional secretaries in PGMA’s Cabinet.

My last day in the field was the coverage of the Pahiyas Festival. That was again another day that started very early. We left Manila at around 3:30 in the morning, we reached Lucban, Quezon Province around 7:30 in the morning. That was a good 3 hour car ride, we had breakfast and then went to the town proper to take pictures of the many different and very beautifully made decorations inspired by good harvest. Near the town’s church was a antique shop and the design was so beautiful that Sir Rene and I stayed there for more than an hour because he can not seem to take the perfect shot due to the growing number of people who flocked and stayed there each minute. There were really amazing designs made of palay and vegetables to encourage good harvest. I also had the chance to taste the very popular Lucban longganisa which was very different from our longganize here. we had lunch and then had a couple of stop-overs because Rouelle Umali from the Manila Bulletin (the only guy there in his 20s) had to email the photos to his office. We left at around 1 in the afternoon and arrived in Manila by 4:30. It was a very eventful day to leave my internship and go back to continue my journey as a student trying to find her niche in a world of endless possibilities and very tight chances.


B. Describe new skills you learned, or skills you improved upon as a result of these tasks. Be specific.

The skills I’ve learnt were the same as the ones that I’ve learnt for the past weeks, only this time waking up really early was among them and trying to stay awake at 4 in the morning while standing and not of cup of coffee to support me and waiting for the people’s champ tops it all.



C. Other thoughts regarding the OJT experience.

Honestly, I find the rallies boring sometimes and even to the point that I think it is pointless albeit that I still get to learn something from them, form what they do. Like, in one of the rallies that I covered I caught myself thinking, “This is what they’re fighting for, this is what they stand for, what am I doing here? What exactly am I here for?” Those were the instances that I felt inadequate in terms of compelling social issues and understanding on how different Filipinos are especially from that part of the country and from my part of the country.

I feel that I surpassed my goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment