Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Querubin: Week #6 at PeaceWorks

May 18
When I read my mail for this week’s assignment, I was surprised about the topic because it is such a delicate situation. And so I immediately requested for clarification on the angle I am to focus regarding the topic. It is about the beheading of an Abu Sayyaf hostage in Basilan.

While searching in the net for latest news about the event, I caught myself reliving memories of my childhood that involved the Abu Sayyaf Group. These internationally known terrorists have been as violent and merciless as I have heard of them since then.


I could not help but get lost in the thoughts of having this Group getting national attention with the latest beheading of one of their hostages.


I learned that poverty can not just steal you from a better life, but it can also serve your head in a platter literally.


May 19
My focus on the topic would be on the reactions from both Christian and Muslim sectors. Today I searched for more information in the internet regarding the beheading of the Abu Sayyaf hostage and every single article brought out tears. Tears that symbolize empathy with the family members who had no choice but to accept their loved one’s fate.

I learned that life is so fragile. It can be taken in a snap. When I was younger, I never really accepted that kidnappings, murder or other criminal acts can happen in the community I live in. I only look at them as possibilities but I never really pictured them as a real case. But working on this story made a huge impact in my perspective about life, social norms and reality.


After research, I went to school to ask friends for possible people to contact for the story. I was then advised to interview a Muslim convener from Interreligious Solidarity Movement for Peace who was a professor in WMSU.


I came to WMSU not knowing where to look for the person and so I inquired a familiar person in the library and was forwarded to the College of Liberal Arts building and after two or three inquiries was forwarded to the Department of Student Affairs and was later informed that he was no longer affiliated with the school and has retired.


But I still got his contact number pasted outside the door of an office in the Executive building.


I realized yet again that information gathering is no easy task.


May 21
I went to the Cathedral to set an interview with the Archbishop but the information officer told me they don’t have a hold on him and directed me to the Sacred Heart Center at Cawa Cawa.

I went to the Center and was informed that the Archbishop is out of town and will be back on a Saturday.


Desperate to interview a representative for the Christian community, I went back to the Cathedral and inquired if a priest was available. The information officer made me wait for a while before relaying the unfortunate news that there is no one I can talk to.


I then asked a friend where else can I find people in authority in under this religion and was advised to go to the Pastoral Council. I inquired the information officer where it is located and immediately went to the office that apparently was closer to my home than where I inquired about it.


When I went in, there was a group of people who I assumed toured around the place with all their amazed faces and picture taking. That is why it took a while before I was entertained by the people in the front desk.


When I was finally paid attention to, the nun who graced an interview was actually more than uncooperative. She declined to answer any of my questions, even her name was kept hidden. She must have thought I would publish her and say that she did not want to say anything. She said she does not want to comment at this point in time. I wonder why.


I left the place with nothing but disappointment.


I then went to PAZ to confirm the number of the Muslim convener from Ate Weds. She then gave it to me informing that he was in Davao at that time. I texted him and made a phone interview appointment.

I am still confused why the nun does not want to say anything about the issue. And I am also surprised to know that priests are hard to find even in the house of God.

I learned that you can never be too sure about things, especially with the way people react to interviews on social matters.


May 22
I went to the City Police Office today to confirm facts I gathered online and interviewed the City Police Director. It was my first time to go to the Office and so I still had to look for the place. After waiting in line with a long list of people wanting to see the Director, I finally got my chance and interviewed him.

After the long stay at the police station, I went to school and called the Muslim convener and conducted an interview.


After lunch, I went to PAZ and looked for Sr. Emma to have my most awaited interview for the Christian sector. She was then out of the office and I was advised to come back after an hour or so.


When I went back, she was extremely busy and asked me to be back after five minutes so that she can settle. After two hours and three failed attempts, she finally gave me the opportunity.


The interview lasted not more than 10 minutes.


My trip to the police station was good for a first time. And my wait for Sr. Emma was paid off with information for representation to the Christian sector.


I learned through the interviews today that kidnapping in Zamboanga and Basilan should never be looked upon as a religiously biased matter. It is not an issue of conflict in faith, but a criminal act immoral to all religion.



No comments:

Post a Comment