Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Lim: Week 3 at Peace Works

10:45, “Passion plus hard work sums up to success” --- the very words I try to live by in journalism.

It was a usual Monday morning that I receive my assigned topic/s for the week. My usual strategy starts with some research regarding my assigned topic. For this 3rd week, I was assigned with an article concerning my school. It had something to do with AdZU’s involvement in the peace process in Mindanao so I researched about it and the Ateneo Peace Institute. The research was done to give me an idea of how the flow of my interview would go. The internet helped a lot and in fact it was the only source of my background regarding my interview/subject. The people I happen to ask couldn’t give me any information and the printed information were exactly the same as those found in the internet. With the information at hand, I did an outline of my article then formulated some interview questions.

I did my interview on a Tuesday and got some useful information. The background and activities of the peace process project were completely sourced out of that interview. I could say it was the best interviewee I have interviewed so far. Mr. Mañego even gave me a lot of references which also helped me.

All the information I needed was already with me but I don’t know… I just couldn’t write well. It’s just that it’s not every day that I have the sense for writing, I didn’t feel writing. I remember, it was 15 minutes before 11, in the middle of my struggle of organizing words, I said to myself, I’m trying to love writing cause I believe that one will succeed if one loves what s/he is doing. So I did my best to overcome that laziness, as I call it. The article was done ahead of time but I received no comments from Sir Rey.

Saturday, our scheduled meeting, Sir Rey told us he wasn’t able to check the emails due to internet server connection problem. He asked me to rewrite my article, as I have expected. I know when I write a satisfying article or not and I know my 3rd week’s article was not the satisfying one. That evening I finished writing over the article.

I’m really not into writing but I do try to write at least satisfying articles. Even though, time comes that I just couldn’t write. I guess the only way for me to overcome this is to appreciate the essence of the job.

I do write but it’s often on the literary side where I wouldn’t even allow people to read it. Now, I have to get out of my shell and do some renovations in my writing. Why/ it will help me in my chosen field.

No comments:

Post a Comment