Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Querubin: Week 3 at PeaceWorks

April 29

Today I went to the City Agriculture’s Office to check if the head of Task Force Bog lake is already present and unfortunately he was not there and so I was asked to come back the next day.


I then, went to the DOLE Office at Veterans Avenue. To my surprise, the building was closed and so I looked for people to ask why it was closed then I saw a sign in an adjacent building that had “DOLE” written on it. I went up to the building and interviewed Mr. Foncardas from NCMB and found out that the Regional Office was transferred to Tumaga.

I then went to the Regional Office after playing search with the tricycle driver who also did not know where the office is exactly located. We even asked directions from security guards.

When I got into the office, I looked for Dir. Centi, head of the steering committee for the event but I was forwarded to Miss Sinco, the information officer. She then gave me copies of the program and flyers. And she also answered my queries.

With my searches today, I can say that on line search is Standard Operational Procedure. With my searches on the net, I was able to take hold of names that were essential in my article.

“Location searching” is always a first for me because I have never been familiar with government offices in the City. And so I find it important to familiarize locations, however I am still lost in finding means to solve this problem. I’m still stuck with relying to tricycle rides.

Another added learning is to always ask for referrals and gather more information than you need. I have been saying this for weeks now but I do so because I feel it is critical to remind myself of its significance.



April 30

Today I went back to the City Agriculture’s Office and to my dismay, the information they have is only on the lineation of the area and not on the bio systems present in the lake. Accordingly, neither City Agriculture nor the City Environment has conducted such study.

However, I learned that making friends with security guards pay. They can come very helpful in information gathering even when in difficult times. In my case, there was a meeting when I arrived at the office but the guard who was already familiar with me still heeded my need. And so I was able to confirm that there was no useful information from their office that saved me from asking my boss to extend yet again for my article.

My greatest difficulty for the day was gathering additional information for the Bog lake article. With all my going back and forth, only to find out that there really was no valuable information in their grasp. With this I can say that it is best to “expect for the worst.” I should have just published my article last week when it was closer to earth day.


May 1

Today I went to the WMSU Gym to take some pictures of the Labor Day Celebration. It is my first time to witness “Jobs Fair” and I must say it is a good avenue for generating jobs to jobseekers and displaced workers. Being present in that affair made me realize that somehow people (the government) are doing something to help other people after all.

As for the pictures, I can attest that wide angle shots help establish a sense of volume for the desired picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment